Sunday, September 28, 2008

Kal Aaj Aur Kal..

Currently, I am on a blogging spree...third blog in three days...

One of the topics I thought is worth mentioning - "Indian Music". By Indian I mean hindi music and especially the bollywood music. My soulmate since I don't know what age...in every mood, in every situation good or bad it has buttressed me thoroughout. Indian music has seen generations and has seen adept professionals like Lata...born talent like Kishoreda...hyper-active Dr. Palash Sen...sarod legend Ustad Amjad Ali Khan...Bharat Ratna Ustad Bismilla Khan...even the latest find Farhan Akhtar.

Kal -- the past generation..the most melodious one I must say...Ofcourse some elder people might argue that there wasn't just one such contiguous generation...but there were times when vocalists like Mukesh, Manna Dey, Talat Mehmud, Rafi, KL saab, Suraiya ruled the podium. For me....it is the same...right from 50s till 80s. My favorite song is from this Kal ..Abhi na jao chhod kar..The song focusses on the restiveness of a lover who insists his girlfriend to stay. 

Several immemorable songs are from this era... Chaudavi Ka Chand, Yeh hai Bombay meri jaan, Dil ka bhanwar kare pukar, Madhuban mein radhika nache re, Tere mere sapne ab ek rang hain, Yeh shaam mastani, Dekha ek khawb to yeh silsile...countless...

Then comes...the 90s and the current kaal..I hate those 90s movies n those songs wherein a huge loafer college-going gang monkey jumped through their university corridors...The only place where i heard such songs was the hair-cut salon...These guys I guess got the cheapest of all cassettes so that the customers do no linger around for long. The crux I would say was that Indian music needed restructuring.

Aaj is the time when there is a talent boom...rather talent-hunt boom. Possibility is that we have surpassed the impasse and back on the right track. Fusionised version depicted in movies like RockOn, Jhankar beats  is commendable. Seeing the inclusion of songs like Teri Diwani, tu hi meri shab hai, Piya basanti re... in the hit lists make me feel top of the world. Even the dance numbers like Just Chill, Hare Krishna Hare Ram, Its the time to disco, Pappu can't dance are in some sense sensible unlike the 90s. We are regaining that lost glitter.

Tomorrow's kal looks brigher and I hope to soothe my ears and rock the dance floor with the upcoming future.

Enjoy Maadi!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Indian music is going through a sea change as you rightly pointed out. I founf some good info on Indian music on
songsfromindia.wordpress.com

Vishal Naidu said...

U like Piya basanti re....
11...11... sala pagla gaya hai us jake kuch bhi indian accha lagta hai tujhe....