Friday, September 26, 2008

Fall of a giant!

Back after a long break. Well..things have changed..in fact a lot! Actually, I had no plans to write a blog but this topic is mouth watering.

A fall of the 49th Street giant..yes the same news which was chewed and chewed over the last few weeks. As a matter of fact, I was there just a couple of months back and now when I visit the city I would be eyeing that building with a tag of Barclays..

Lehman Brothers had a reputation...it still has...but something went wrong. I wont talk about what went wrong because we have several expert blogs discussing the same. Whatever the reason be, the company was great and did achieve great things. A trend-setter in Fixed Income, some of the brightest minds on Wall Street occupied Lehman desks, competitors awed at the pace LEH bounced after 9/11, it owned the crown of having some of the highest salaried employees and the list would continue to grow. I would say I was very fortunate to experience such a work culture just before it became extinct.

I have several memories from my internship...a few being the managerial talks, outings, my commute, weekly meetings, suiting myself, free dinners...The best I would say was being a New Yorker.like...get a newspaper, travel through a path/subway, get coffee, walk from the station to the office from streets filled with suits and yellow cabs. I know this might sound a little childish but I dunno..while watching movies portraying NY..I used to search myself on those streets/avenues passing by the Empire State, the Central park or the NYSE...Being there on those street not as a tourist but a daily bread earner used to make me proud.

Sorry...enough of digression.. The bottom line is I had a wonderful time at Lehman...though I cant work there full-time..no one can restrain me from pointing towards the 49th Street, 7th Avenue ex-Lehman building and saying "This is the great place where I worked" 

1 comment:

Sushma said...

awesome blog man :)... even i feel the same...