Friday, January 2, 2009

On a journey to the campus - Goa

Today I happened to read in the news about the New Year's party in Goa..n suddenly I was reminded about my 4-hours stay there back in 2006. It would have been the shortest stay for anyone in Goa. 
I had gone there to take Recos from my professor who had shifted from Pilani to Goa recently.
The journey however was not that short as I had taken a volvo from Bangalore. Today its hard for me to understand why on earth I took a volvo and not fly there. May be I was testing my endurance. Reaching Goa was not the only hurdle....reaching the remote isolated BITS campus from the station turned out to be worse.
The campus is on a major highway. There isnt any train/bus/taxi stop in the radius of 2 kms. I really had no clue whatsoever. Having no other option...I was about to rent a vehicle. But after some enquiry, got to know that there was a bus-stop on a road nearby..just that no vehicle would go from that road to the main-highway where the campus was located as I had to cross a hill-type pathway. If anyone has seen Amol Palekar's Choti Si Baat in which in sheer desperation he climbs up the hill to meet Ashok Kumar..I too staggered through. Though I should say that this option of clambering the path was selected knowingly as I kind of was curious to see how students, if they travel by bus, reach the campus.
I do not know about other things but overcoming impediments-on a journey to the campus is certainly the facet shared by BITS-Pilani and BITS-Goa students

No comments: