Monday, April 30, 2007

Crossroads

"Now you have to cross the road and turn right"
"But there is a vehicle coming...", i replied.
"then it will wait for you to cross", replied my driving class instructor.

Driving always adds that extra-bit of thadi-ness. Bound to that two-wheeler habit of turning the vehicle without disturbing the pedestrians...it takes some time to make a way by blowing horns just as lord krishna did through the flooded river ganga. But then time teaches. Today I am no more a fledgling.

One cannot resist imagining oneself as the king of the road especially when, one brings the car to a halt on a busy square. The car and of course the novice driver suffer severe denigration from the traffic. The panicky driver shuffles through the gears, but the instructor is as cool as buffalo on a road. He advises to start the car and raise it slowly. This exemplifies the quality of keeping cool in tense situations.
Such a thing happened with me too.....I was like....tell me now what to do??!!....the car isn't starting...!!, the traffic police is looking at me!!!....the behind-cars are blowing incessant horns!!!....what to do!! ...
But at the same time, my instructor the coolest fellow on earth said....arey don't worry,main hoon na!

It has been a great experience for me with my driving class..... especially the early morning driving sessions. I certainly dreaded the afternoon traffic sessions, but then they come as part and parcel of driving :) .

My instructor has the peculiar quality of pricking me with his sarcastic comments.

"Haan...this is not our car. This means that we do not have to put brakes before a speed breaker".
From this I had to interpret that I am traveling at a high speed from over the speed breakers.

"Haan....I will put on the indicator every time...you don't worry".
He meant.....put on the indicator dude!

But then the next time I turn or the next time I confront a speed-breaker, I always remember these comments.


No comments: